Compensation For Accidents On Public Property

California law states that an owner or occupier of property must use reasonable care to inspect the property and discover any unsafe conditions. The owner or occupier has a duty to correct, repair, replace or give adequate warning of any condition that could reasonably be expected to harm others.

Failure to make reasonable inspections of property may subject the owner or occupier to liability for injuries caused as the result of the failure to inspect the premises.

The personal injury attorneys at DeWitt Algorri & Algorri in Pasadena, California, represent individuals who are injured by slipping, tripping or hurting themselves as a direct result of dangerous conditions on public property. These accidents may occur at retail stores, office buildings, government buildings, parking garages or many other sites.

Varying Degrees Of Liability

Landowner liability varies greatly depending upon the classification of the victim. Generally, visitors fall into one of three categories:

  • Invitee — Is any individual who is invited to another person’s premises for their mutual benefit.
  • Licensee — Is any individual who enters the premises at the owner’s consent for a non-business or commercial purpose. The most common example is a social guest.
  • Trespasser — Any person who enters premises without the property owner or possessor’s consent. Generally, no duty is owed to a trespasser. However, in situations where the possessor knows of potential trespassers, he or she must give a reasonable warning for dangerous conditions.

We have a thorough understanding of premises liability laws and how they apply in different situations. We will help you determine if a property owner or possessor is liable in your case. If there is a liable party, we will help you collect the maximum amount possible under California law.

Pasadena Lawyers For Injuries On Government Property

If you have been injured on local or federal government property, it is known as a public entity case. These cases are complex and subject to many rules and regulations.

If you file a lawsuit seeking damages from a government entity, you must first file a proper administrative claim under the Government Claims Act. This gives the governmental entity an opportunity to settle just claims before your suit is brought; permits a preliminary investigation of the facts; allows the entity to defend against unjust claims; and permits the entity to correct the conditions or practices that gave rise to the claim.

There are strict steps that must be followed in a relatively short amount of time. If you fail to submit your claim within the specified time limit, your case can be dismissed. These deadlines vary by type. A claim for wrongful death, personal injury or damage to personal property must be presented on or before six months after the cause of action accrues.

If You’ve Had an Accident on Public Property Call DeWitt Algorri & Algorri

Our attorneys for public property accident claims in California can review your case and recommend the best steps to take during a free consultation. Call (626) 568-4000 or email us to schedule an appointment.

Get legal help today Information Required*
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Start Your Free Evaluation